Compass: g -f3
Size: 755mmW x 329mmD x 112mmH
1. Measurement of the original instrument of catalog number 3114 at Leipzig GRASSI Musical Instruments Museum.
2. Study of a salterio preserved at Handel House in Halle made by Antonio Battaglia.
3. Reference materials (drawings, string composition analysis and gauge size) provided by research groups of the Handel House.
Model: catalog number 3114 at Leipzig GRASSI Musical Instruments Museum, 18th
Though there is no hard evidence, I think this instrument was made by Antonio Battaglia, because its detailed featrues look very similar to Battaglia's salterios of the same period.
Below is a photograph of the #3114 instrument.
On making this replica instrument, I would like to express special gratitude
to Mr. Markus Brosig at the Leipzig GRASSI Musical Instruments Museum,
Ms. Christiane Rieche at Handel House in Halle, Dr. Katharine Leisk and
Mr. Klaus Martius for arranging opportunities to closely study the original
instreuments and Mr. Thomas Vincent Glueck, a period keyboard instruments
maker, for his providing copies of reference materials and time spent for
extremely informative discussions.
Size:557mmW x 216mmD x 67mmH
1. Photos of MIMO site.
2.Size info provided by GNM.
Model: GNM catalogue #MIR718
Germanische National Museum in Nueremberg has a salterio of 1608, or can be read as 1698. With the GNM provided size information together with the photos ifrom the MIMO site, a drawing could be made for making this replica instrument.
Compass is from g to e3 and the notes of e2, d2, c2, h1 are on the left side of the quint bridge, a1, g1, f1, e1 are on the right of the same bridge. On the bass bridge d1, c1, h, a, g are accommodated. By using a small extra bridge, the instrument can be tuned for C-major, G-major, D-major, F-major and Bb-major.
Salterio with 16ft strings
Size: 925mmW x 358mmD x 144mmH
1. Study of a salterio preserved at Handel House in Halle made by Antonio Battaglia.
2. Reference materials (drawings, string composition analysis and gauge size) provided by research groups of the Handel House.
Model: Antonio Battaglia 1785 Handel House in Halle catalogue #MS-121.
In the Handel House in Halle, this salterio by Antonio Battaglia is preserved in a good condition. String gauge size and reasults of a composition analysis of the string material are available.
A replica base on the above original instrument. Extended hitchpin rail for 16' strings is seen on the left. 16 feet strings are on the bass bridge on which the 8' strings are also located. 16' strings and 8' strings sound simultaneously.